The most frequent questions and answers related to personal color analysis
In the makeup and fashion industry color analysis also known as skin tone color matching or personal color matching, is the process of determining which colors will look best on an individual based on their natural coloring. It is used as an aide to wardrobe planning and style consulting.
A trained professional image consultant is educated on how to spot the undertones in their client’s hair, skin, and eyes. This is usually done by conducting a number of tests such as draping the client in large pieces of fabric in many different colors, applying makeup, etc.
Basically, it is color theory applied to fashion and cosmetics. This is explained in detail on our blog and throughout our color guides and tools.
The benefits of wearing the exact right colors that harmonize with your natural coloring (i.e. hair, eyes, and skin) may include:
- Looking Great!
- Looking younger and fresher
- Looking Slimmer
- Looking brighter and healthier
- Clearer, more sparkly and shiny eyes
- The colors in your makeup and wardrobe will harmonize with your eyes, skin tone and hair
- It takes the mystery and hassles out of shopping
- A renewed sense of excitement and confidence when it comes to wearing and shopping for clothes and cosmetics
- A glowing more even looking complexion
- You will find it easier to choose the right makeup shades and what color to dye your hair
- Your natural looks will be enhanced and accentuated
Save Time and Money!
- You won’t buy clothes you won’t wear.
- You will only invest in the clothing items, accessories, and cosmetics that look absolutely amazing on you.
- You won’t have to guess anymore whether or not something looks good on you.
- You will save time shopping as you can eliminate 50% of colors immediately.
- You can peek into a store, see if it has your colors then if not, move on.
- All your clothes colors will be perfectly coordinated, which will save you time when getting ready and it means you can buy less and have more outfit choices.
Wearing the wrong colors:
- Dulls the complexion
- Takes the sparkle from your eyes and shine from your hair
- Drags the face down
- Enhances imperfections such as – dark under eye circles, blemishes, redness, sallowness, wrinkles
- Can even make you look sickly or washed out
- Leaves you with a closet full of clothes with nothing to wear
Our color system is based on color theory, historical information, and many hours spent analyzing the natural coloring of individual clients. There are 4 main categories based on the four seasons –
In our system, each seasonal type gets some version of all 12 colors from the color wheel and each color is taken from what you see in nature throughout the year.
The colors vary in intensity (value) and tone in each season and you will find this is reflected in your own natural coloring and therefore our system is designed to complement and enhance what you naturally are born with.
Our color system is different from all of the other ones out there because each palette has been matched to the true colors found in each season. Otherwise what would be the point in labeling these color types “seasons” in the first place?
These aren’t random made up colors. They are the true colors found in nature throughout the year. These colors follow the principles of color theory so that no color from the rainbow or color wheel is left out of any of the palettes.
By following the colors of nature and the laws of color theory you then get truly accurate palettes for each seasonal color type thus eliminating the need for any confusing sub-seasons.
Whether you are on the lightest or deepest end the of the spectrum all of the colors from your palette will look fantastic on you and work perfectly with your coloring because they harmonize with your natural undertones.
Each person is born with their own distinct and individual coloring. This coloring is most pronounced in your skin and hair. Your eyes naturally coordinate with the undertones in your hair and provide the beautiful details that make you look like you.
The seasonal color theory was inspired by the studies conducted by German colorist and artist Johannes Itten. He noted that his student’s personal colors were consistently those complementary to their skin, hair, and eyes both in tone and value (intensity).
Through observation of various individuals, it has been discovered that the colors contained in their hair, skin, and eyes will naturally mimic and be complemented by the colors found in one of the four seasons.
Not at all. As you familiarize yourself with your colors and read through the fashion guide for your season you will be surprised at how many more colors you have access to and all of the different ways that you can combine them to create different looks. The possibilities are endless!
While there may be colors from the other seasonal palettes that you can get away with wearing you will look best in the colors from your own palette. The colors in each palette have been expertly designed to coordinate perfectly. This way you will be able to just reach into your closet, grab something to wear with little or no thought. Why just look good when you can look great?
Very easily actually. It is one thing to know your colors but how to combine them can seem a bit daunting at first to some. We explain this in detail in the Fashion Guides for each color type and in the articles on our blog. Our goal is to make wearing your best colors as fun and easy as possible.
This all depends on your natural coloring. We have mapped out the best cosmetic shades based on each seasonal type and these are included in the booklet that comes with the swatch palettes for each season. Downloadable makeup lists that correspond with these colors are available now in our online shop.
When you take our quiz you will be asked what your natural hair color is. Color analysis is based on your natural coloring and your results are based on this and will be the most accurate if you provide that information.
It is totally okay to dye or highlight your hair of course. Part of the information we provide in the booklets that accompany our swatch palettes, is hair color suggestions for each season.
Of course! Knowing what to wear is just as important for men as it is for women. Guys, if you want to look great and make shopping fast, easy, and even enjoyable then you should seriously consider learning about your color type.
Color palettes and fashion guides for men are available in our online shop.